Sunday, December 9, 2007

Snow, snow, snow

It is a winter wonderland here. Everything is completely piled with snow, snow and more snow. Yesterday, while my husband shoveled I got the kids geared up and my son and I made a snowman, our little baby toddled around in her boots (just a little bit too big) and we had a blast, there is so much energy with the first big snow fall. I woke up just excited for Christmas and doing stuff for family.

My mind raced about with all that needed to be done in preparation, hot pads to make, packages sent, my husband's quilt to finish. Anyways, after putting together fake English crackers for Mary's class party I realized it was after 12:30 and remembered it was my good friend's baby shower. I had missed it by almost an hour, I felt so horrible, I had been looking forward to it all week and kept the invitation right by the door so I would see it and remember. I ran over as soon as I could and we had a nice visit and she was very forgiving, but there is no denying the fact I have been losing brain cells and it may be getting worse. She had a beautiful miracle baby boy after having three gorgeous girls and each pregnancy she has so many complications, she was on bedrest with this little boy six months and we all were praying for her.

Then off on errands as a family, no way I was going to drive, the snow was coming down harder and harder. We made it to Target and thought we would run in for a few things. Target is a great one place shopping most of the time, but not yesterday. They didn't even carry mince meat and only had one kind of tread, but we got my daughter some much needed boots. By the time we got out of the store it was a blizzard even my husband could hardly see. We decided to cancel our other plans of driving up the canyon and set off for home.

The kids were so, so excited with the snow we thought we'd venture locally and went sledding at the highschool, even the baby made a run down the hills with Daddy. There is something about the cold and snow you just want to curl up at home with the fire, a movie, hot coco and sweet things, so of course we went to Day's (our local market), and spent too much money on steaks, donuts and cookies, just letting our instincts take over.

We dropped by our friends who we had lent our car (since they their two cars break down at once) just to see how they were doing of course it ended up being over an hour visit. That is what happens when you have two couples that both like to talk and children who go wild having fun together, but so enjoyable. We borrowed a bunch of their movies (saved us a trip to the video store) and went home for the most delicious grilled steak. My Hubby experimented with honey, salt and sugar on the meat Oh, oh so, so good. Then we watched a Christmas movie with the kids, us all curled up in blankets eatting sweets.

Off to bed, my Hubby thought it would be fun to see just what Santa felt like and stuffed a big round pillow in his sweats and zipped up his jacket. Ho, ho, to the kids and read them Good King Wenchelas and waddled around turning to get through doorways and such. We didn't get half of the things on our to do list done, but we sure had fun. Sadly though our baby doll threw up everything in four episodes afterwards, not the perfect way to end the evening but she was so sweet even when she was sick and would cuddle with us. Memories to keep.

4 comments:

Mary said...

Thanks for sharing your stories. I love to hear about all of your adventures in parenting. Now that I have two I am starting to relate to them more, and of course I love hearing about all my cute neices and nephews. I really liked the story of Emily trying to wipe your nose. --Mary

Ruth said...

Enjoyed the entry. Thanks for sharing. I'm getting nervous about the snow! -Ruth

Emma said...

Love to hear about your family. You are a great writer. Keep it up. Sometimes isn't it nice to drop the "to do list" and just enjoy time together. We are loving the snow as well.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a fun day for you. I can't quite picture your husband with a santa tummy. Will he come down the chimney if you ask nicely? I think he ought to, as an experinment in preserving all things Christmas. If he got stuck he could say oh, oh, oh instead of ho, ho, ho. It's late, don't mind the nonsense.