Saturday, December 1, 2007

Saturday cleaning

My son and I went through an entire Mr. Clean sponge today working on getting the crayon, pen and marker off the walls, we only got halfway done when the sponge had completely dissinigrated. The walls did look a little cleaner, my son got a lesson in work, and hopefully this will be less necessary in the future.

Many times you would look at my husband and I as parents and say, wow they must be brand new parents, because we keep making the same mistakes over and over again. We forget, we shouldn't let the kids play till their work is done, we should always make sure the Friday night movie is done by bedtime (because they will still want the whole bedtime routine), and we are not mean parents if we have expectations, and do not have markers in the house even the washable ones. Everytime I am frustrated with my spoiled children, like today when the simplist of tasks made them cry, I can only blame myself. Yet, we are learning and it is getting longer between mistakes, so at least we are on the upside.

Parenting is such a learning process and growing process for me. It gives me insights into my own weaknesses, tantrums, manipulations that I wasn't even aware before till I see them in my kids. I always feel sorry for my oldest sweetheart, the one who is the experiment child the one who has to take the brunt of our mistakes and learning.

Tonight we watched Deck the Halls movie it was really cute and was about the most important thing, time with our families. That is what our kids like most for holidays is quality and quantity time with us unfettered by the daily responcibilties. It was esspecially cute tonight as my little baby doll found some kleenex. She came up to me and kept rubbing it on my face and I just burst out laughing when I realized that she was trying to wipe my nose. She has had a runny nose and so that has been a constant thing we have been doing for her.

Have a wonderful Saturday too.

4 comments:

Aprilyn said...

I think I need to have my 9 yr old son scrub the walls too. He thinks it's no problem to put his feet on the walls.

We too have learned that it's not Ok to have any kind of markers, washable or otherwise, in our home. Grandma still needs to learn that though. Our kitchen table is completely ruined thanks to "washable" markers.

trevsnavywife said...

Katrina and the Magic Eraser have a special relationship. I think that no matter how many children we have, we end up learning through trial and error!!

We love you guy, thanks for sharing your stories with us :)

Pam's Place said...

I think most of us Moms have made the same or similar mistakes with our children. We learn as we go, don't we? Sometimes I look back and am in awe that my inconsistencies in parenting didn't totally ruin my daughter. Having different personalities comes into play, too, and affects how the children adapt. Fortunately, they are resilient. They thrive in spite of our mistakes.

I think love is the key. You love them, they know it. You do the best you know how. They thrive.

Your kids are sweet and good. I've seen such growth in your oldest this past year. You're doing a great job.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Once my son colored the same plug-plate (is that what they are called?)--every day with crayon. Every day I cleaned it. Every day he colored it again. Then I had him clean it. He colored it. I finally realized he thought it was his job and my, he did a good job of it.