Monday, November 19, 2007

The amazing adventures of Astromom

Astromom
As I pick up the clothes off the floor and heave another heavy load of laundry down the stairs. I start feeling sorry for myself. All I am is the housekeeper, the cook, mainly everyone’s servant. Jacob comes over to me with his cute kissable cheeks, I can’t help but give them a peck and decipher his words as he tells me how he wants to help put the soap in the washer machine, he is fascinated by anything mechanical and likes anything to do with Mommy. He ends his explanation by telling me how he likes my hair and gives me his adoring smile.
No, I am a mom and a homemaker and I wouldn’t want to leave any of it for the most career successful job in the world, even to be an astronaut (one of my favorite dreams). Of course, if the opportunity happen to show itself, we would be the first family to live on the moon, I already warned my husband of this. I have a whole space station planned out with plenty for a family to do, functioning as a unit, working together to live in space.
As I cuddle and rock little Emily while she has a bottle and starts to close her eyes, I think more on this idea. Yes, my space station would have to have plants, lots of plants so it would have a self-sustaining oxygen supply. Gordon would do the math and spelling, grammar with the kids, I’d do the reading, science and exploring with the kids. We would work as a family preparing space meals, adding a few fresh ingredients from the plants. We would have to exercise and be extra healthy since white blood cells seem to go away when you are in space so it’s like having AIDS for a time period. No, we wouldn’t want to live up there too long, it just wouldn’t be safe or the best idea, but sure would make a great long vacation and bring our family even closer. O.k. let’s do it. Wait... I don’t think that is an option yet. Maybe it will be when the kids are teenagers.
I finally get Emily to sleep and carefully, so carefully lay her in her crib and tip-toe out of the room. I quickly warn Jacob not to go upstairs and encourage him to be quiet as he can. Of course, Mary coming home yells, bangs the door and runs about the house waking Emily up and brings her to me saying "I found her awake when I looked in her room."
"That is o.k.". I tell Mary, "but because you brought her down, you know you need to watch her for a while. " Mary then starts to play so sweet with her sister and makes her brother laugh, I go to the kitchen and contentedly listen to the noise. This is heaven, my children happy, our family being together. Gordon surprises us by coming home early at 4:00 I guess he had Young Men’s at 4:30 today to rake leaves, but he has just enough time to give me a kiss and push the kids on the tire swing, where they scream and laugh and have so much fun. We make arrangements for dinner in just over an hour and I look for what I need for the Target brand hamburger helper (my families favorite meal).
My life isn’t so bad, I am so happy. I have a husband who loves me who loves our children, our children love
one another, I am able to stay home and do my own schedule, I love my family. Yes, we have struggles and challenges, yes we are continually learning, often through our mistakes. Yes, I have the most wild children ever, but who have so much energy life and are so sweet. The moon can wait, heaven is right here.

No comments: