Friday, February 10, 2012

Day 6 and 7 plant-based diet

Lentil and Rice Casserole (based on recipe from Practical Cookery: Vegetarian)
My own adjustments from this recipe my sister shared (My kids approved)

1 c dry lentils
1/2 c rice
5 c vegetable stock
1/2 sweet onion, diced
2 minced garlic
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 bell pepper, seeded and sliced
3 1/2 oz brocoli florets
1 tsp basil
salt and pepper

1. Put lentils, rice and vegetable stock in rice cooker for about 20 min.
2. Then add remaining ingredients to the pot
3. Keep in rice cooker for 10-15 min. or timer on rice cooker goes off and vegetables are tender

I made this last night, and everyone loved it. My slip-ups the last two nights have been cookies from Days (our local grocery store). I find I still need the comfort sugar food on really hard days. The baby more fussy and crying, my oldest crying with her new braces, overwhelmed with laundry, housework. There are more dishes with this diet, but I am starting to feel more energy so it makes up for that.

I went to the doctor yesterday, he thought it wouldn't hurt to test me again in a couple months and see if this diet has made a difference, he didn't know that it would. He also thought my pregnancy might have messed up my numbers as well and separating myself from the pregnancy as well might help my numbers too. So we'll see what a few months bring, but like one of my friends pointed out, it still is a good idea to keep eating healthy, living a better life style.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I'm glad you liked the recipe. I'll try posting a few more if I can ever get a few minutes away from kidos.