Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 2 Sort of vegan diet

Quinoa and Black Beans (from AllRecipes.com)
1 tsp vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 c vegetable broth (I use the Better than Bouillon vegetable base found in the spice section of Costco--cheap, organic, low sodium, and no MSG!)
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 c frozen corn kernels
2 (15 oz)cans black beans rinsed and drained
1/2c chopped fresh cilantro
Serve with: lettuce, tomatoes, sliced avocado, and lime juice

1.Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Stir in onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
2. Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
3. Stir frozen corn into saucepan and simmer 5 more minutes until heated through. Mix in black beans and cilantro.

This is a recipe my sister shared that we had last night, the whole family liked it, if anything I'd add even more cilantro oh, and I added 1/2 a sweet onion.

I had carrot juice, water and apple slices for breakfast this morning and am full, then we are going to my nephew's baby blessing and I'll probably just eat what they have there afterwards.

It made me feel really good to make the quinoa/blackbean recipe, it was a new receipe that fit the diet I wanted, easy enough to make and it tasted good, so I'm excited to try some other ones. This wasn't too hard, we did have to go to two stores to find the quinoa though.

Second day, feeling positive and not letting myself be discouraged by slip-ups (like having some peanut m&m's) I sort of justified it by telling myself the nuts were healthy and it wasn't like eating straight animal product, but I do need to be careful of the sugars too. I like my other sisters idea I should add some moderate exercise, I'll try I guess it is hard when I feel pretty tired still with baby.

2 comments:

Rachel Leslie said...

Great job! That does sound good. I'd watch out for family events, I know Mom has ways of getting out of eating things she doesn't want to and living so close to family it seems there are always reasons to abandon one's goals for a day. Stay strong and keep going even when you have a slip up. This is a big change that takes time, but the sooner you make the changes, the sooner you have your health back. I'm so proud of you, STephen and I are going to make some goals tonight and it helps to see my sisters changing their lifestyles for the better to motivate us.

Rachel Leslie said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo&feature=share is an interesting video. I know Jared doesn't support the 10 10 10 idea, and I've heard others also question it, but it has some interesting ideas.