Friday, May 23, 2008

Not so good idea

So, I tried the one month shopping thing, not such a good idea. Its the end of the month and I ended up going over budget because we had run out of groceries two weeks early. Yes, I still have stuff from the big shopping, but I think the key really is meal planning. Which is easier to do on a weekly basis, still buy that bulk stuff but spread it out over the month into the weekly shopping. Good news is I still have a months worth of diapers and wipes I won't have to buy next month and it will probably even itself out over two months, but I find it easier to stay on budget and have what I need with the weekly shopping, much better idea.

Also, even though my husband has been willing, I've been lax about taking my night off, infact I haven't taken a decent night off for a month at least. Yes, my husband broke his pinky and had a cast, then I had to do emergency bill paying, then a tax night, then just get caught up on the house night. So I'm arranging with my mom and sisters to have a girl night, and then take off for a library, shopping, exercise night. Just plan ahead and be prepared for a night off, I really do need them and they truly contribute to my sanity and happiness. I am also looking into taking an art class or a math class (so I can finish a promise I made to a professer long ago, whole different story). I was able to have a book group for an hour last week and I have a wonderful neighbor who helps out so much. In fact she just came over so she could get out of the house and we just visited while I did housework, and she pitched in too, it was so fun, now that is a good idea.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

I agree, budgets are terrible. You do need nights off though Sarah. Make sure you talk to Gordon about it before you get overwhelmed.

Emma said...

I agree with budgeting stress. I tried the month shopping thing and it DID NOT work for me either. I ended up going to the store every week to get milk and perishable items. I overspent as well. Right now I shop for 2 weeks and that has worked well. We do go through milk fast and so I have to have a milk run once in a while, but it has worked well so far.

We do need time off/ break. LOve your writings. Keep it up.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Money, money, money. Don't you just hate it? Every week I want to throw great bundles of it at Judy and hope it will fix things.

Girls night out is a good idea. Do it.

I admire you for trying to budget. Plan those menues. Saves money every time.

Thanks for today and for every week. I love you.

Melissa Miller said...

I go grocery shopping every two weeks. I plan a menu for those two weeks and keep a very good list.
You are a great writer, I have enjoyed reading your blog. I'll check back in to see what you are up to! Uploading pcitures is really easy, once you figure it out. I want to see some of your cute kids!