Thursday, May 1, 2008

Shopping adventures

I just spent a bunch of money at Costco. I'm trying something new, monthly grocery shopping and I just had to keep telling myself, it is for the whole month. When I got home I divided fruit snacks, granola bars into smaller weekly bags so we don't go through them in one week and put extra cheese, meats, bread, butter, tortillas into the freezer. I had never spent so much on groceries in one go it was a little scary.

I then actually had to go clothes shopping for my seven-year-old who is already in size 10 and just shooting up like a weed. She has now grown taller then everyone we used to get hand-me-downs from. I realized her tennis shoes were two sizes too small and she had hardly any short-sleeve shirts or sweat pants for the sports I have her in. At her dance class she was the only one actually in a leotard, I guess shorts and tee-shirts are the dance attire for her age. I want her to feel beautiful and that she fits in. I fortunatly was able to find some very decently priced clothes and 50% off clothes for her at Target. I actually paid full price for the shoes. Even with all that I'm not used to clothes and shoe shopping much so it seemed like a lot. Then I about had a heart-attack when I got home and I couldn't find the bags I thought I had left them in the cart. Fortunately they were in the back with the groceries.

I'm back incharge of finances, so my husband can help out with other things. I hope I can live up to the trust he has in me and I can keep us on budget and on track. Its stressful, but stimulating too, to have a non-parenting responsiblity that uses another part of my brain. Just like taxes, I'm the one who does it every year and my husband says I make 500$ an hour, because of the tax return I figure at the end. (I thought that was cute).

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Costco is one of the main places I spend money too. Hope you can make it last a month. You may need to still get fresh things every week or so. . . Hope you are doing well. Happy anniversary this last week. Wow, what an accomplishment.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

When I had kids at home the best way I found to save money was to plan menues. I don't know why it worked because we ate dinner every night, no matter what but if I planned menues I could get buy on less grocery money. Good luck with your adventure. Keep us posted.