Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The teased

I was a sensitive child, the ideal sport for bullies. I would cry when I was teased, I was emotional, easily affected, and often would throw myself pity parties. My mother told me when boys teased me that they really liked me, of course I repeated this to one of these boys and he held me up against the wall and threatened me if I ever repeated those words. One of the boys that would tease me was one of my friends (at least when no other boys his age were around). I had a hard time understanding that, but eventually we had a talk and I caught on it was an act he had to play. I was told not to react so much and teasing wouldn’t happen as often. It is true, I experimented for a week hiding my affected soul and by the end I was no longer so fun to tease.

I was an oldest child always seeking acceptance and recognition from adults. I was certain no other child had to do all the chores and live up to the expectations that were placed upon me. My father would call me "Poor Cinderella" when I complained and I felt even sorrier for myself, I certainly was Cinderella having to clean up after everyone and do more then any one else. When I would complain of ailments my father would say "you were a nice girl while you lasted" and of course I was the most unloved, ignored little girl who might die and my parents wouldn’t care. It seem even now at times my imagination will make some adventure or sad story out of my life.

Then what do you know, I end up marrying a tease. Not a mean teaser mind you, but a tease all the same. My husband loves to prey on my guilt complex, my naivety, my pity parties and imagination, of course he will smile and let me know he is teasing and gives me a sweet hug. I took about 6 classes in highschool where I was the only girl I’m certain I must have liked the attention and the friendly teasing from those boys. Even some of the mean teases in elementary, some of the meanest boys I knew ended up going on missions, being great missionaries and supposedly great people (to my astonishment).

No comments: