Sunday, January 13, 2008

Putting back the sunshine

The sun shone yesterday, it seems when the sun shines it goes right into my heart and I have to have a happy day. I heard an amazing talk yesterday that really touched me. How our hearts can be mirrors where we are focusing on ourselves, our agendas, our problems, what we want. Yet, our hearts can be windows looking out truly seeing others and ourselves people of worth, but also allowing the sunshine of our Lord’s love to come into our hearts. I thought this was a wonderful way to think about things, to see others and to see ourselves.

If you ask my children: Are you beautiful? Are you smart? Are you special? Do I love you? Their response will be "yes", just plain "yes I am" they allow themselves to know they are of worth and they don’t question those wonderful things you tell them about themselves. How wonderful is that, why is it as adults we don’t allow ourselves to think well of ourselves. I’m not talking about conceit or pride or arrogance. Maybe we are afraid of becoming those things or being perceived that way, or maybe we have allow the negative to affect us, maybe we just can’t accept that we are of worth and we are special.

I have been focusing on giving each of my children significant one-on-one positive time, extra positive words, yet being consistent. It is amazing how this extreme praise and quality have helped my relationship with my son, by the end of this week he has already become so much less defiant and more willing to listen. I’ve always tried to give them positive and time, but I’m realizing at times in their life we they seem to be negative that is when I need to as a parent really lay on the positive and give them extra attention, and it is working. (Of course we will see how church goes today, but I am hopeful and it doesn’t matter, he is a wonderful child I feel more positive with myself when I am positive with others.)

1 comment:

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

I thought your kids did well in church. I was sitting behind Anderson's and I had to chuckle. I leaned forward after the sacrament and said, "This is why old people don't have babies." (He had just taken their child to the foyer.) She said, "I'm exhausted." But, as you do, she was smiling.

This is a beautiful post, Sarah. Let's decide we have the confidence those children do.