Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Healthier Lifestyle day 3

Last night was horrible. I don't think they warn you about the side effects of changing to a plant-based diet. I am hoping if I can endure my body will adjust but just lets say there are some gastrointestinal side effects that aren't pleasant, that combined with the worst UTI of all time I was up almost all night. I had a sweet husband who took the kids to school in the morning and let me get enough sleep to function a little today. For lunch yesterday I made my famous black-beans that are quite tasty. It helps me to get started to use recipes I already am familiar with and slowly add more things.

Sarah's famous black beans

Saute 1/2 an onion (chopped) in some olive oil (eventually I may take out the oil)
add minced garlic (1-2 Tbsp) and chopped bell pepper (or can of chilies)
Then add 3 cans of black beans (liquid and all)
2 Tbsp Oregano
2 Tbsp vinegar (I use apple-cider when I am eating healthier)

I still have leftovers I'm planning on using for lunch today. This morning I had leftover smoothie from yesterday and a bowl of wheat flakes with almond milk on top. (The cereal wasn't totally sugar free eventually shredded wheat might be a better option for fast cereal). Yesterday evening I went to Mary's graduation from a class she was taking. I ate from the vege tray, fruit bowl and salsa and chips. I did have one indiscretion I ate a delicious frosted sugar cookie which I did regret. I think I should have taken 2 bites and would have been totally satisfied but I need to get over the idea of needing to eat the whole thing, if it is junk food I am not wasting food to throw away after I have my taste if it is something I really want to try. For my sugar craving that night I ate a peach.

Today I went to Sprouts during Haven's music class I stocked up on celery, cucumbers, apples, bananas and melon, more grapes. I also went to Michael's and splurged a little and bought a wreath that was 60% off (I've always wanted one for our house especially in the Fall). I also bought paints and brushes. I know you might think I'm crazy but I can't stand our new white door, I need to paint it. Gordon says I'm a tagger at my heart. I need to be creative and that white door is a canvas just calling to me. I did play the piano listen to my book and listen to music yesterday. I however wasn't as active as I wanted to me. My biggest activity was taking my daughter Mary to the store to buy a pretty dress for her graduation from her class. She is such a beautiful girl.

My goal today is to get enough sleep tonight, do a load of laundry, fold three loads of laundry and take a nap and still eat healthy. Haven't decided about dinner yet, but maybe sandwiches tonight or squash from my garden. I need to find a non-sugar way to use the large zucchini I have I'll have to look on-line and get some ideas.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Your body will adjust! I want to try your black bean recipe. It looks good.

Rachel Leslie said...

Love this! It's obvious you're working hard!