Thursday, July 17, 2008

Family in Town

I have gained so much admiration on top of what I already felt for my sister-in-law. We've had my husbands brother's family here with nine of their ten kids, their oldest is on a mission and their youngest is not yet three. So we have six growing big boys and 2 young girls along with my three growing kids that went through 3 bags of cereal in one morning. Every meal, every outing, every day is an adventure, fun and exciting though too. It has been a fun challenge planning meals and putting them together and working out the legistics of space and all. Yet, somehow we've been fine and things have worked out, I have not yet lost my mind and I'm learning skills and tricks to feeding large groups several times a day. I've watched my K & M hand out chores to their kids and how they communicate and work with all these children. How M gets the kids to do things without even raising her voice. It seems like a big key is consistency and commitment, and lots of love.

When we were walking around the local campus as a big group, I thought it was really neat for these kids, they will always know they belong with their family and they have a group that they will always belong to. One brother had cruches and couldn't make the long walk, his older brother stayed and sat with him and later even gave him a piggy-back ride to meet up with the big 15 passenger van. Of course they have fights and sibling squabbles but their mom would just stop the car or withhold doing things until they could get along again. These parents love each one of their ten children and the children each know they are loved. They read scriptures together they pray together they work together. There are so many things I have learned to do with my children. Of course I'm writing my blog instead of implimenting all of this with my kids because I'm so tired.

It has been exhausting but fun and so much easier on us as the host instead of being the guest. I am so grateful we've had family come visit us this summer. It is so much easier on our pocket-book, on our children's sleep, on our sleep to be able to stay in our own home and have people visit, esspecially since we have still young children which are so hard to travel with. I think a key with family visiting is just loving and helping eachother, respecting one another and communicating. Wow, I'm so tired to think in and out of everyday is like this and even more crazy when not on vacation for K & M is amazing. I am so grateful for parents like them who bring these beautiful children into the world and raise them to be wonderful citizens, wonderful people and wonderful parents themselves one day.

4 comments:

Mary said...

I love learning from the examples of other moms too! Every time I spend time with another mom and their kids I come back excited with new ideas of games, disciple techniques, etc. Following the good examples of others can be worth more than reading lots of parenting books.

g said...

It was a huge amazing experience, what I actually liked the best part of the family reunion were the everyday things, prayers, soccer games, tennis matches, bedtimes, movies, computer sharing, bathroom sharing, I felt so blessed with so much, I mean not to say it was roomy, but we had 16 people in our home! We had beds for all the adults and 3 of the children had a bed too. We had unshared rooms for every adult to come too, a place they knew was there's, we had a room for our baby, no one else slept there, we had our own room and bathroom, and no one had to use my office either. The amazing thing is that we only have a 2400 sq. ft. home! We have 5 rooms and 3 bathrooms. We had breakfasts outside and dinners outside, we played at the park, went to the river, it was really simple stuff, but I loved it, it was a great reunion. Thanks Astromom, you're a star!

trevsnavywife said...

Wow you had a houseful! Wish we could have been there. Give your kiddos tons of hugs and cuddles from us and a hug for you and Gordon too!!

MUCH LUV!!

Ruth said...

Sarah, You are amazing. I have no idea how you do it. I know you weren't fishing for a complement but you must be one of the most generous people I know. What a great example for me.