Wednesday, March 19, 2008

My night off

My husband and I decided to try something new, once a week, every Tuesday I will have a night off to do whatever I want. I did it for the first time yesterday and it was so freeing and so wonderful. I almost didn't know what to do with myself. I was so excited and energized about it, I cleaned the whole house even the kid's rooms, laundry, paid bills and made homemade pizza for dinner (even gave myself time to blog).

First, I stopped by a friends and we made arrangements for me to take her to Costco next Tuesday. I went to the library and browsed and actually took the time to research on the computer books of authors I like and I was able to find two more books on tape that I am so excited to listen to. I picked out age appropriate books for the kids (books I would enjoy reading with them too).

It took less time then I thought so I starting driving to ShopKo for some Easter toys for the kids then saw a store I'd never been to, but heard about (Honk's). I stopped inside and got all my shopping done, just wandering through the store, everything was inexpensive so I didn't mind picking up a pair of needed sunglasses for myself or a scented candle, a flashlight whatever I wanted.

I got back to the car and it was still only 8:00, I didn't want to go home before the kids were in bed so I just started driving, thinking of a treat I could get for myself to end the night and saw Jumba Juice. A delicious, guilt-free treat. Wonderful, so I got out of the car, read every item on the menu debated back and forth in my mind for as long as I wanted and decided on a berry delight and an orange,mango,banana juice. I came home, enjoyed half of a Harry Potter movie with my husband then went to bed at a decent hour. What a wonderful thing to have discovered, so wonderful psychologically for me. A perfect evening.

3 comments:

Rachel May said...

hahaha. I certainly want to bother you next tuesday. What freedom, it sounds grand--wait, almost like being single.

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

What a good idea, Sarah. You have the BEST hubby. I'm sure you know that. I bought lots of the Ugliest Purse Contest prizes at Honks.

Mary said...

Hi Sarah. I'm glad that you have taken some necessary time off. I don't get that very often, but when I do I find I'm usually anxious to get back to my babies by the time I'm done. The time off makes me appreciate my beautiful, sweet babies even more.

Every mom needs a little time off.
I read in a magazine about a rule that one mom made that she doesn't work from 8:00 pm to 8:00 am. She tells her kids that it is against mother labor laws, so if they want something from her (to read a book, make them food, etc) they have to ask her either before or after her time off. She makes her husband follow the rule too. So if he doesn't help her get the kids in bed by 8:00 he is stuck doing it himself. I plan on implementing this rule once Madeline is turns one year old and is sleeping through the night.