Sunday, February 21, 2010

Society thoughts

I've had a few thoughts. I was thinking of the problem of our overflowing jails. I was thinking of our healthcare expenses and these are some ideas. I wonder if we had more immediate and a little more sever punishments if there would be less crime, if the temptation wouldn't be as enticing to commit crime if there would more of a consequence.

This relates to health care because I understand a lot of the expense comes from suits, so what if there was a consequence (like having to cover the court and attorney fees for the person/organization they are sueing). What if caps were put on pain and suffering claims? What if every doctor worked with a partner that they could consult with, get a second opinion, and cover when they are gone so they aren't working too many hours? Doctors who did this would get a tax deduction and/or cheaper lawsuit coverage? What if every health appeal, or wrongful doing went through arbitration with a panel of educated doctors on the panel reviewing the case?

What if parents who were able to work through their problems and stay together in marriage and are attentive nurturing parents got tax credits and those who neglect and ignore their children and their education are taxed for it. Maybe recommendations from teachers and doctors allowing tax breaks? Some random brainstorming, ideas, loved to hear what you think.

5 comments:

Rachel Leslie said...

I think all these issues are pretty complicated. I don't know if even the "experts" really have solutions.

Ruth said...

I like your ideas. Would you please run for president?

Lynne's Somewhat Invented Life said...

Sarah, everything you do, you do with compassion. Yes, it would be great if family's could stay intact. They--the adults--give up way to easily.

Nicole said...

I think you would love getting the free IMPRIMIS pamphlet each month from hillsdale.edu, its free or you can even just read it online to save paper, though I wouldn't if I didn't get it in printed form, kinda like the Ensign:). Anyway, I think part of the American population is starting to think about these issues as they are becoming such a burden on the society!

Jared said...

You have some good ideas, but I agree with Rachel that these issues are extremely complex. We definitely need tort reform though. We also need arbiters or panels comprised of physicians--a true jury of peers. As for the best way to deal with prisoners, I think we should return to the time-honored Puritan practice of locking offendors in a pillory in the public square so that passers-by can throw rotten fruit and garbage at them. This would be especially useful for reforming juvenile delinquents. Public humiliation is a great motivator.